Los Alamos National Laboratory Facility Electrical Engineer (Engineer 3/4) in Los Alamos, New Mexico
What You Will Do
This position will be filled at either the Electrical Engineer 3 or 4 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
Facility System Electrical Engineer (Engineer 3) ($87,800 -$144,800)
The successful candidate will perform the following duties of this position in the areas of electrical, instrumentation and control, but are not limited to:
Electrical power system analysis and design and implementation of consensus codes and standards like NFPA 70E, and IEEE
Facility modifications, system upgrades
Perform short circuit, coordination, load flow, and arc flash studies using SKM software
Configuration management support and technical baseline maintenance
Monitoring, tracking, and trending of major systems
Troubleshooting; root cause analysis
Perform Electrical Safety Officer (ESO) function
Facility System Electrical Engineer (Engineer 4) ($105,600 -$178,300)
In addition to the duties outlined above, the additional duties of this position include:
Technical mentoring of junior engineers.
Act as a senior technical advisor overseeing and assessing electrical systems
Leading, developing, facility modifications, system upgrades
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Facility System Electrical Engineer (Engineer 3)
- Expert technical experience in electrical system analysis and design for industrial facility operations
- Expert knowledge of electrical engineering systems and calculations and, application of engineering methods to facility and operations-based engineering problems
- Sound knowledge of engineering work planning and control methods
- Expert experience in electrical engineering including troubleshooting
- Extensive experience working with industry codes and standards
- Ability to communicate well, both written and verbally
- Proficiency with personal computers
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from a University with ABET accreditation
- 8 years of electrical experience
Facility System Electrical Engineer (Engineer 4)
In addition to the to the above minimum requirements:
- Expert knowledge of industry, regulatory and DOE/NNSA complex codes, standards, and criteria pertinent to System Engineering and Vital System Safety such as DOE 0 420.1 B, and DOE STD-1073
- Expert knowledge of IBC, NEC, and IEEE
- Ability to integrate and coordinate multi-facility deployed, cross-functional technical work activities
Desired Skills (at either level):
- Expert knowledge of Engineering principles and procedures, safety basis interaction, design guides, appropriate standards, and administrative practices as applied to DOE non-reactor nuclear and high hazard facilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Laboratory's integrated safety management policies, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to achieve results in a matrix organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Laboratory's electrical safety policies, practices, and procedures.
- PE Registration
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
426.2:This position is subject to DOE Order 426.2, Personnel Selection, Training, and Qualification Requirements for DOE Nuclear Facilities, which establishes entry-level requirements to ensure candidates selected for specific positions can successfully perform the requirements of the job.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Term position:Regular-status Laboratory employees applying for term-status positions may retain regular status with approval of the cognizant Principle Associate Director.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is primarily responsible for monitoring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile and conducting research into new defense programs. LANSCE Facility Operations Division (LFO-DO) provides operations, engineering, maintenance, and ESH&Q; support forTA-53organizations and facilities. The primary mission of TA-53 is to operate the LANSCE accelerator facility, which provides the scientific community with intense sources of neutrons and protons. The TA-53community is also engaged in other R&D; in support of the Laboratory’s weapons, global security, and other scientific missions
The Facility System Electrical Engineer (FE) position assigned to the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (LANSCE) ES-LFO Group responsible for plant engineering services and implementation of the Conduct of Engineering (CoE) program implementation at LANSCE.
Join LANL's best and brightest and become part of the team that provides the environment to deliver system solutions for our country's national security, now and in the future.
Location: Los Alamos, NM, US
Contact Name: Pacheco, Barbara Gonzales
Organization Name: ES-LFO/LANSCE Facility Operations
Job Title: Facility Electrical Engineer (Engineer 3/4)
Appointment Type: Term Appointment
Req ID: IRC57841